Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Sorry to interrupt you ...

Often when people come to the Reference Desk to ask a question, they apologize first for interrupting me. I hope I don't look that forbidding! Yes, I'm always doing something, but it can be something pretty boring, such as website use statistics. I'm happy to be interrupted while doing that kind of chore!

Please do come to the Ref Desk and ask. Sometimes, I won't be able to answer your question, though I'll give it my best effort. But very often, the problem that is obstructing your progress can be easily cleared up. It may be just an inefficient search technique, or using the wrong resource or index and getting unsatisfactory results. Or, you may have a vague research idea that becomes clearer if you can talk to somebody about it.

Don't hold back. Come to me if I'm here, or ask for help at the Circ Desk if I'm not. We'll do our best to help you.

Paula

No comments: